RadarFX SAR Capabilities
Physically Accurate Sensors
Learn all about RadarFX by clicking through the tabs below or download the RadarFX SAR Capabilities document.
Easy Integration into Your Simulation Architecture
RadarFX SAR is a server that serves SAR images. You can install it on a computer on your network and it services requests from other applications that need SAR images. The product includes a simple-to-use software toolkit to make an easy job of embedding SAR simulation into your applications.
RadarFX SAR also includes an example of using the toolkit to create a client application. The following figure shows a SAR image in RadarFX Simple Client.
Physically Accurate SAR Scenes
RadarFX SAR is built on top of JRM Technologies' proven physics-based signature simulation. RadarFX SAR synthesizes physics-based signatures on-the-fly (OTF) from a single material-property encoded 3D database of terrain, cultural features, atmosphere and targets.
Applications of SAR
Synthetic Aperture Radar produces images of high-resolution at great distances, that appear to be taken from above — making a nice top-down view like a satellite scene. Since the radar pulses are not significantly disturbed by the weather and do not need daylight to make an image, SAR is particularly useful for Surveillance, Reconnaissance, and Targeting.
- Sensor Operators — RadarFX SAR can be used in applications to teach sensor operations within manned or unmanned aircraft vehicles/systems (UAV/UAS).
- Command, Control, Intelligence training — where images from the SAR server are used to provide battlefield information to commanders and their staff.
- Research & Development — where engineers use RadarFX SAR to model the effects of using different sensor characteristics (e.g. varying wavelengths, pulse widths, etc) to evaluate suitability of use or concepts of operation of different SAR configurations.
Inverse Synthetic Aperture Radar (ISAR)
RadarFX SAR supports ISAR. ISAR uses the movement of a target entity to generate a radar image instead of the movement of the emitter (as is done by SAR). It is predominantly used for maritime purposes. The following figure shows a series of ISAR images.
RadarFX SAR includes a wide variety of radar imaging effects including:
- SAR Shadows.
- Leading edge brightness.
- Down-range/Cross-range resolution effects.
- RF path attenuation, atmospheric scattering, and absorption noise.
- Target radar cross-sections from imported RCS or FIELD files.
- Component scattering and coherent summation using Jones Matrix (for resonances and nulls) Polarization.
- Terrain areal RCS from Ulaby-Dobson parameters embedded in spectral material property files.
- Choice of gain distribution type and directivities, for transmitter and receiver separately.
- Sensor system noise as function of bandwidth and temperature.
- Doppler spatial effects.
RadarFX SAR provides control over the following sensor parameters:
- Frequency (GHz)
- Pulse width (u-secs)
- Pulse repetition frequency-PRF (Hz)
- Transmitter polarization angle
- Receiver directivity
- Receiver polarization angle
- Integration path length (m)
- Transmitter power (W) and max power (W)
- Antenna gain
- System temperature
- Saturation S/N ratio
- Gain pattern
- Display type
RadarFX SAR supports the following bands:
- L-band : 1-2 GHz
- S-band : 2-4 GHz
- C-band : 4-8 GHz
- X-band : 8-12 GHz
- Ku-band : 12-18 GHz
- Ka-band : 30-40 GHz
- W-band : 90-100 GHz
RadarFX SAR supports the following image formats:
RadarFX SAR is subject to the jurisdiction of the Department of Commerce Export Administration Regulations (EAR99). As such, it is exportable without obtaining an export license. Please be advised that as a purchaser of RadarFX SAR, you are responsible for export, re-export, resale and transfer in accordance with the EAR 15 CFR, and as may be applicable, ITAR 22 CFR 120-130, in addition to any commercial licensing agreements between the parties.
Superior Technical Support
At MAK, technical support is not just an afterthought. Our reputation for supporting our customers is one of the key reasons that people choose our products. When you call or email us with questions, you speak directly to our product developers who know the software inside and out. When you buy MAK's products, you can be sure that MAK will be in your corner as you work towards successful completion of your HLA/DIS project. We've even been known to be on the phone with customers during their HLA certification process, or during key events.
When someone reports a bug, our engineers are quick to provide a patch or workaround, meaning you will not have to wait for the next release to have your problem addressed.
With maintenance, you are entitled to upgrades when they are released. Typically, new releases not only add support for the latest versions of RTIs, the RPR FOM, HLA Specifications, and so on, but also try to maintain compatibility with older versions as well.