Enhanced Company Operations Simulation
DI-Guy’s Enhanced Company Operations Simulation (ECOSim) is a company-level training simulation that teaches leaders how best to deploy troops, UAVs, convoys, and other assets. ECOSim focuses on ease-of-use, rapid scenario generation, runtime operator control, and realistic & reactive human simulation. The fruit of a 5-year collaboration between the US Marines, JIEDDO, and DI-Guy, it is designed so that a Marine can be trained in 10 minutes to operate the system.
Rapid Scenario Generation
ECOSim embodies an intuitive authoring user interface built on top of layers of advanced DI-Guy AI. Because of this, ECOSim boasts a quick and trainer-friendly scenario creation capability so powerful that training missions can be quickly created within minutes and then modified on-the-fly during training.
Click through the red tabs below to learn more or download the DI-Guy Capabilities document.
DI-Guy Capability Overview – Real Time, Usable, Scalable, Flexible, Extensible, Interoperable
DI-Guy is a tool for adding life-like human characters, people, to real-time simulations. It lets you rapidly populate scenarios with people who move realistically, go in and out of buildings, and travel throughout the terrain. You can use DI-Guy for ground and urban combat, mission planning, flight deck training, law enforcement and first responder training, site security planning, architectural visualization, driving simulators, marketing, driving simulators, and many other applications.
Models and Motions, Real-Time Simulation, Artificial Intelligence
- Models & Motions - DI-Guy comes with a wide range of realistic human models and movement. Content that comes with DI-Guy contains thousands of motions & thousands of models with multi-layered textures. DI-Guy also has Expressive Faces and talk and emote as an add-on. The DI-Guy characters move realistically, make natural transitions from one activity to the next, respond to high-level direction, and are generally intelligent about how they move. The DI-Guy Scenario characters are completely operational and ready to go when you install the product. They go where you tell them to go, performing various tasks and actions. Each person has its own skeleton, texture-mapped geometry, behavior library, and real-time motion engine. DI-Guy Scenario seamlessly integrates the people, their behavior, and your environment so you never have to get bogged down in the animation swamp.
- Real-Time - Everything about DI-Guy is real-time. DI-Guy Scenario lets you edit activity in the scenario and see the people act out their roles immediately, without a compilation delay. In fact, you can edit a scenario while the scenario plays. DI-Guy Scenario also supports embedded run-times, which allows you to export the scenarios you create to your own real-time software or third-party systems.
- Artificial Intelligence - DI-Guy AI, software for creating autonomous, terrain-aware characters and crowds, is a cost option to DI-Guy Scenario. Information about DI-Guy AI is found in the DI-Guy AI manual. This manual focuses on the non-DI-Guy AI aspects of DI-Guy Scenario, but for a full experience users are encouraged to evaluate DI-Guy AI. There is a very strong coupling between the two products.
Easy-to-Use, Intuitive from Setup to Execution, Fully Customizable
- Easy-to-Use - DI-Guy Scenario’s graphical user interface makes it easy to use. Once you have loaded your terrain model into DI-Guy Scenario and you have entered DI-Guy Scenario’s innovative PeopleBlitzer and CrowdBlitzer modes, you can add a person to the scene with a single click-and-drag of the mouse. In a few minutes you can add a variety of people to your scenario, all performing seemingly complex tasks. In an hour you can populate a whole region.
You can access a lot of DI-Guy’s functionality by pointing and clicking directly in the 3D scene where you place people, give them paths and assign tasks. Dedicated palettes let you specify decision logic, control where characters look, create formations, and edit many other parameters. It is easy to go back and refine scenarios you or others have built.
To create a scenario using DI-Guy Scenario, you perform four steps:
Step 1: Load a terrain model (DI-Guy Scenario supports Open Flight models).
Step 2: Choose a character type and appearance.
Step 3: Place the character on the terrain model and tell it where to go and what to do.
Step 4: View the scenario in real time from any point of view.
DI-Guy runs on Windows and Linux*. Once scenarios are generated, you can load them on a wide variety of systems using the DI-Guy SDK. The DI-Guy SDK runs on both Windows and Linux computers using graphics libraries for OpenGL, Open Scene Graph, DirectX, Vega Prime, and runs in Unity. DI-Guy can also be customized to a specific graphic library using the well documented DI-Guy Graphics API. Easy-to-use DI-Guy API functions are available for importing DI-Guy Scenario scenarios into your real time application.
*The DI-Guy SDK supports Windows and Linux. The DI-Guy Character Viewer runs on Windows and Linux. DI-Guy Scenario, DI-Guy AI, and the DI-Guy Motion Editor run only on Windows.
- Fully Customizable – All components of DI-Guy are open for the user to modify and add to. Build your own plugin for DI-Guy, Build your own state machine test and recompile it and debug it in real-time without restarting. Modify or add your own models and motions. DI-Guy loads and works with industry standard modeling tools formats and motion capture formats. DI-Guy uses the latest gaming technology pipeline for realistic human models and motions.
Interoperates with Your Networked Simulation System: DIS and HLA
DI-Guy uses VR-Link and takes advantage of VR-Link’s protocol independent classes, making DI-Guy fully compliant with DIS, HLA 1.3, HLA 1516 (SISO DLC version of HLA 1516-2000), and HLA Evolved (HLA 1516-2010). DI-Guy Scenario can interoperate with SAFs, Stealths, IGs, other DI-Guy Scenarios, and other systems that use these ubiquitous networking standards.
Optional Components for DI-Guy
DI-Guy comes complete with terrains, people, and motions needed to create compelling human simulations. In addition, there are optional components for expressive faces, and a plug-in capability that you can purchase to extend the product further. Contact your MÄK sales representative for information on ordering these options.
- Expressive Faces – This module provides characters with faces that can show facial expressions, move their eyes, and synchronize their lips with speech.
- Plug-in Capability – DI-Guy Scenario now offers a plug-in architecture that allows you to create your own dynamic libraries (.dll) that link and load at runtime with DI-Guy Scenario. Typical applications include adding peripherals, AI, and custom C++ code.
- DI-Guy Motion Editor – DI-Guy Scenario comes with over 2,500 motions and transitions in its library. Because human behavior is so diverse, however, you may want to modify some of these motions or add entirely new ones. That is now possible using the DI-Guy Motion Editor, an advanced graphical tool for adding new behavior to DI-Guy and DI-Guy Scenario. The DI-Guy Motion Editor has been engineered for seamless operation with DI-Guy and DI-Guys Scenario.
- DI-Guy AI – Quickly create crowds composed of autonomous, terrain-aware DI-Guy characters who perform collision avoidance with each other, external entities, vehicles, and buildings and objects in the terrain.